As Play! Pokémon events begin reopening in select markets, we will require participating venues
and organizers to comply with the following guidance. In addition to these guidelines, all venues must continue to comply with their state and local ordinances. To see if Play! Pokémon programs are reopening in your market, please check this page.
Failure to adhere to these requirements will result in loss of eligibility to participate in some or all Play! Pokémon programs. As such, it will be the responsibility of all participating venues to:
- Fully understand all applicable local ordinances and laws pertaining to COVID-19.
- Regularly and thoroughly document compliance to the requirements below, as well as future updates.
- Retain that documentation for no less than 3 months.
- Promptly provide that documentation to TPCi at our request.
Please see the FAQ below for more information on documentation.
Play! Pokémon COVID-19 requirements:
- Signs must be posted at each public entrance in clear view of your clientele. These signs must:
- Advise individuals of the most recent known COVID-19 symptoms.
- Ask symptomatic individuals to not enter the venue.
- All present (players, audience, and staff) are to wear appropriate face coverings at all times.
- No eating or drinking inside the venue is allowed during the event for players and staff, unless there is a clearly separated food service space operated in strict accordance with local health regulations and ordinances. In that case, eating or drinking inside the venue is permissible; however, it must remain clearly separated from the event.
- Players are required to sanitize their hands after switching opponents, and to forgo the traditional pregame handshake. We strongly recommend that the venue make hand sanitizer available for their players.
- Each match is to be at least 6 feet (1.82 m) apart from other matches, spectators, or other places where people may congregate.
- A separate area is to be designated for spectators that also adheres to local ordinances regarding social distancing.
- Events are to restrict registration and participation to a maximum of 30 players at any one time. This is true even if more players could otherwise be accommodated while meeting all other requirements listed above in terms of spacing.
Who is responsible for meeting these requirements?
Everyone is responsible for ensuring a safe and healthy event.
Professors: You are to ensure the venue meets these requirements, to organize events only at venues that are compliant, and to document that compliance.
Store Owners & Venue Staff: You are responsible for enforcing these requirements and for making sure compliance is documented as well.
Players and Spectators: You are to follow the instructions given by the venue and Professors in charge of the event and to report noncompliance to TPCi.
What if I cannot wear a face mask due to health reasons?
If you cannot comply with the rules listed above, it is your responsibility to refrain from attending Play! Pokémon events until these requirements are lifted.
Our venue has a café, restaurant, or other food or snack service. Can we host events?
For Play! Pokémon events, we are not allowing food or drink to be consumed inside during the event unless there is a clearly separated food service space operated in strict accordance with local health regulations and ordinances. All eating and drinking must remain separate from the event.
Should we need to provide documentation to Play! Pokémon, what would constitute sufficient documentation?
Photos, video, or livestream footage of:
- Required signage.
- Event space.
- Notices of food and beverage requirements or lack of availability.
How will updates to this policy be communicated?
We will email all active venues anytime this policy is updated.